| We drove in on a pretty rough trail to make it to Rainbow Lake. It was a trail I was glad to not have to drive and actually never wanted to ride again either. However, I did have to drive us out in the morning with Jon deathly ill. In this picture he's helping the boys get the fire pit ready. Then Zerin finds a very old rusted out #10 can that I tell him not to touch. Before I know it Jon is scooping up lake water into the rusty can and filling with what he believes to be stinging nettle. He's heard that if you boil stinging nettle it takes away it's stinging properties and is actually good for you. So, he sets the rusty can filled with lake water and supposed stinging nettle next to the fire. Ashes are flying everywhere so before long the can is also full of ashes. We make our mountain houses for dinner and Jon tops his heavily with his rusty lake water stinging nettle and downs it. He politely offers me some but, of course, I refuse. About 2am that morning he wakes me up with his tossing and turning and tells me he doesn't feel so good. He leaves the tent and begins his 6hrs + of throwing up. (He had brought his pack raft, which he fished out of before he got sick, and that's what he laid on after he left the tent). I honestly had moments during the night where I wondered if Jon would make it out of there alive; he had similar thoughts. We were at least 2.5 hours from the nearest hospital and that's if I was able to get us out of there, which I highly doubted in the dark. The only thing that brought me peace was that if Jon did die at least it was in a beautiful place in the mountains--a high mountain lake with beautiful granite rocks surrounding it. If it really was his time to leave this earthly existence that's the kind of location he'd want. Thankfully, he made it out alive. About 8:00 that morning he had me get up and take down camp and load up the side by side; no small chore when I'd never done that by myself. We had to stop several times along the way for him to lay on the ground because the bouncing around in the side by side was too much. By the time we made it back to the cabin around noon he was feeling quite a bit better. Still not great, but compared to how deathly ill he was, much better. I'm pretty sure the rusty can, lake water, supposed stinging nettle was a one time deal that he won't try again. (I hope our children read this and learn from his experience as well). |
No comments:
Post a Comment