Jon attended a four day NET seminar in Marina Del Rey, CA so the kids and I tagged along. We planned to spend Tuesday afternoon, after we arrived, at Disneyland but the weather was rainy so we opted for the kids and I to go it alone the following Friday. This was only the 2nd time we've all flown together and this one was much better than the 1st (to Alaska in 2008). Lydia and Hyrum were both excited to fly and did great with our direct flight there. On the trip home, which took two flights, they mysterious bumped me to a completely different section of the plane. The flights were full so they couldn't move me. After four days of the kids all to myself, I have to admit I wasn't too sad. The gentleman I sat next to on our final flight mentioned maybe it was a little bit of divine intervention. I'd have to say I agree :)

With airlines charging outrageous fees to check bags, we always opt to take carry-ons. Two for each people this trip plus a jogger and a booster. 10 pieces of luggage and two adults. It was a balancing act to say the least!
Instead of Disneyland we went to the little "Mother's" beach by our hotel. It was part of the marina.





Our hotel was about a mile from the hotel where Jon's seminar was so the kids and I walked over each day (except Friday) to have lunch with him. There was a nice walking trail with exercise stations along the way. This was one of the hardest ones for us. There was also a public library along the way which we spent several hours at. Turned out to be quite a pleasant location.
For any of you that know me, you know my daughter has not learned to pose from me. Way too girly for me. These poses she does in almost all photos comes naturally!
This was at a little shopping center not far from Jon's seminar where we ate lunch. I think this trip was one of the rare times in my life when I've been sick of eating out. Usually, I love to eat out because the food is prepared for me and there's no clean up (what Mom wouldn't love that?). However, after five days it got a little old.
One afternoon the kids and I walked down to Venice beach which was only about 10 minutes from our hotel. Cold day again.
The cold weather didn't keep the kids from having a great time playing at the beach. This was Lydia's 1st time at a real beach.

Hyrum loved it also. It's hard to get photos of Hyrum with a genuine smile but, I got a few this day :)




Thursday night after Jon's seminar we took the kids to Santa Monica beach. I remember going there with my dad when I was little. I think it seemed a lot cooler back then. The kids were sad we didn't ride any rides but, we were going to Disneyland the next day and I knew they'd get their fix.



Hyrum wanted to ride by himself so he could spin all he wanted. I get motion sick pretty easy so I told him if we went on it we couldn't spin.






The Michael Jackson 3rd show. Original from sometime in the 80s. It was fun to watch Hyrum swipe at things that appeared to be in front of him!
Quite possibly our least favorite ride: It's a Small Small World. The ride was okay it just lasted too long. The kids passed the time by taking pictures but, I didn't save very many because honestly, they wouldn't be so fun to look at.


Hyrum on the one and only roller coaster we rode. It was a caterpillar in Toontown. After the ride Hyrum was proud of himself for doing it and Lydia was jumping up and down yelling, "That was so much fun!" She is all about adventure and Hyrum is all about security. Probably fitting of their energy types. In fact, Lydia was the perfect height (40") to ride almost all the rides but I couldn't talk Hyrum into any!

Mickey Mouse was the only character we got a picture taken with. Lydia was super excited to meet him despite what it looks like in the photo. We went to Minney's house also, but she wasn't home :(
After the Nemo ride we stood in line for a race car ride (Autopia) but they had to shut it down due to an accident. We decided to get something to eat and Lydia crashed (fell asleep) on the way to food. By this time it was around 9:30 and she'd been playing all day. Surprising she made it this long. Hyrum and I ate some dinner and then Hyrum did one last activity... Surprise, surprise, that it had to do with a gun! He's so much like his Dad!
Jon's seminar ended Saturday around 1pm and our flight didn't leave until 6pm so we spent the hours in between at the beach.
It was still a chilly day, I ended up wearing Jon's sweatshirt over my long sleeve but, the kids still had a ton of fun. The joy and excitement of being a child!








Way to be master sand artist! Several people did walk by and get a good smile or laugh out of Hyrum.





























4 comments:
Looks like you made the most of it, despite the cold weather!
It looks like you had a wonderful trip!!! What fun memories!!!!
Wow, what a wonderful trip! We are soooo overdue for a little family get away! Beautiful family!!!
*Your song on your blog, make me cryyyyyyy*
I also liked the song that you have on your blog. Your trip looked like so much fun! We are going down there in July. Davy is a lot like Hyrum. We had to pay him to go on every ride the first time we went. The by the time Danny was 40 inches he went on every single ride that he was tall enough for (including tower of terror) He must be a lot like Lydia. My boys love Soarin' over California in California Adventures, and splash mountain. Your post makes me so excited to go to the beach. We'll have to build a "muscle man".
Post a Comment