Sunday, June 7, 2009

Off to Alaska!

Here is some wildlife on the way up to Alaska. I think the trip was around 60 hours of driving. Lots of Wildlife and wonderful scenery. We took the alternate route, the Cassiar highway thinking we would do some fishing. We did not do very much, Matt caught one greyling.


Here Matt and I are heading out into the ocean to do some halibut fishing on a little raft (Zodiak) that we have never taken on water with a 15 horse motor that we have never used. We made it out into the big waves and the motor quit. luckily Matt put in a 3 horse motor for back up. we mounted it and continued out into the rough waters. We continued out and parked next to some large fishing vessels that dwarfed us. Matt caught 3 little halibut on a jig, while I was using some large hooks and herring going after the big boys, I am not sure how we would have brought in a 150 pound halibut but unfortunately we did not need to figure it out how.
Here is a couple of Kings caught on the little sue, the first one caught was May 31st which is really early to catch a king and the second one was the next day. I caught them both on a fly rod which was a total thrill. that was my goal this year to catch a king on a fly rod, well worth the effort, and good eating.


These two fish were caught just a few minutes apart, Matt was beside himself that I got a bigger fish than him. We had several bets on our trip starting from Idaho. I believe I won the first one in Canada which was golf. Here we were on our way up to build a bear stand. We basically built a fort up in the air. We tied a barrel to a tree and put dog food in it with some greese. We did not have must time to bear hunt by the time we got the stand built but will have it for next year.
this one is 29 pounds. average is about 25lbs. 50 lbs is a monster.

Here is Matt's dad Howard torching us a bear barrel. We put holes in it so the bear has to beat it around to get food out.
This cracks me up every time I see it. This is Matt standing next to a native girl in Whitehorse- Yukon territory. They were pumping gas next to each other and I knew Matt was dying to get a picture with her so I asked her to stand by him. Matt was not as thrilled as she was. It definitely made her day.
Totem poles at some Indian villiage along the Cassiar highway
Me beating Matt at golf even though its been about 10 years since Ive played.
Here we were roaming around looking for a bear stand Matts father in law set up at Ptarimigan pass. We heard something so I got the camera ready while Matt got his bow ready. We just saw a big patch of grizzly hair where a bear had been scratching. notice Matts mosquito net on his head. They were a life saver.

No comments:

My Greastest Blessings!

My Greastest Blessings!