Sunday, April 18, 2010

Robie Creek

Yesterday was the much anticipated Race to Robie Creek. Here we are before the race started still smiling.

They, whoever they are, claim this is the toughest race in the Northwest. Eight miles up a mountain and five miles down. I believe there were almost 3000 people in the race this year. The weather was beautiful but, a little warm for that long of a race.

My friend Sarah and I. She was smart enough not to participate :)
Jonnie getting a little stretching in before the race.
Since Jon finished the race almost an hour before I did, he took a couple pictures of me FINALLY nearing the finish line.
It's kind of hard to see but the clock says 2hrs 49mins.
After the race still smiling, only this time the smiles are from the joy of being DONE!

This was Jon's 3rd time running Robie and my 1st and, pretty sure, last. Jon has run Robie three times. This year he had to put in for the second chance drawing because he didn't get a spot the first time around. He decided to increase his chances, he'd put my name in also then if I got it and he didn't, he could use mine. He informed me of this after he'd put our names in. Well, as luck would have it, we both got in. I still had the option to back out but while sitting in my computer chair I thought, "Sure, why not? I can do it."

Then while in Hawaii I hurt both my knees running hills and my thoughts of doing it quickly changed. I still really wanted to complete the race so I tried gently training but, unfortunately my knees never got better. I made it about five miles into the race before my left hip and knee were killing me. I limped through the rest of the race only running the last little bit so I didn't walk across the finish line. Definitely not what I was hoping for. It was unfortunate to have to push through pain for eight miles most likely adding more damage to the already injured hip and knee. However, I am confident with time, nutrition, and assistance from some good Chiros, I will fully recover.

Jon's story: Two days before the race Jon hiked many miles of steep hillsides during his bear hunt and then packed out heavy bear meat. He was hurting and exhausted. The first few miles of Robie he felt like puking. Then he had other ailments show up. At one point he was sure his calves were going to burst. He was miserable the entire race and still felt ill afterward. He finished the race in just under two hours, about a half hour slower than his two previous races.

We ran the race with two other friends. One friend felt like puking for about 2 1/2 hours after the race and the other friend almost passed out during the race but thankfully was saved by an aid station. Anyone want to run it next year?

The rest of these are some pictures of Lydia and Jon being silly with the camera.



1 comment:

kd said...

And THAT my friend, is precisely why I think everyone who runs is CRAZY!! :)

My Greastest Blessings!

My Greastest Blessings!