158 E 1st N

After 55 years of calling this home, Grandma and Grandpa Hansen are moving. Some might say not necessarily by choice. They were presented an amazing offer by Dick Broulims (the owner of Broulims grocery store located directly behind their home) which grandpa initially turned down. After visiting with several of his children about the offer, they were able to do enough convincing and eye opening that he and grandma decided to take it-- $330,000 for their 100+ year old home sitting on 7 city lots. An amazing deal to all except two individuals so deeply rooted and attached to their home.

As you can imagine, after 55 years, 9 children, and 54 grandchildren, to say there is a lot to move is an extreme understatement. Especially, since grandma had/has a very hard time "wasting" AKA throwing away. My Mom felt that she needed to assist a little with their moving process and so she and my sister and I and a few of our kids made the trek over. We spent 6 days there moving, sorting, and going through not only physical belongings but years and years of memories. Words fail to describe that sort of mortal experience.
For me, the following pictures say more than words ever could. One set of long green stairs + one perfectly fit mattress + 2 fun cousins = loads of fun and millions of laughs
The infamous window among the cousins. This was a source of fun and trouble. We all seemed to have an obsession with sneaking out it during the night and sitting on the roof you can see. We'd eat candy or something simple just to say we did it. I don't think we ever manage to partake of the fun without grandma knowing. The trouble came each time we were caught... children!
The first thought that comes to mind with this picture is the memory of sitting on the floor, near where this picture was taken, and playing Rummy Royal with Shauntae and Eleisha. So many good times by those stairs.
The living room. When I was pregnant with Lydia I had a few sessions with a gentleman who taught me about hypnobirthing (a form a self-induced hypnosis during labor). At one point during a session he asked me to go to a place where I could feel completely safe, comfortable and relaxed. I immediately went to my grandparents living room. That's what that room meant to me.
Kitchens are the heart of the home. So much nourishment comes from a kitchen. I was nourished from this kitchen in many ways, food being one of the least of them. In my college and later years there were many nights spent playing dominoes and visiting. I sewed with grandma at her kitchen table and received love and support during difficult times in my life. I am told by my parents that my kitchen sink resembles my grandma's kitchen sink. The way it's sets with the window and the plant behind the sink... I didn't consciously create that, though it's amazing what we do subconsciously.
This is the sewing room. Taunya and I had the fun and entertaining job of going through this room. What a daunting task, but 4 hrs later it was completed. There was a lot more to that room than the picture shows.
Due to mold in the house we didn't dare go in there without face masks. We found several interesting items during our time in that room. I believe what I'm reading there was one of those junk mail sweepstakes letters from the 80's. We did find some items of importance though including some memorabilia from grandpa's mission.
Grandma use to fit women for bras and apparently also used to sell breast prosthetics. By this point in our cleaning we needed a good laugh and these were a great catalyst! We hung a couple on the wall and randomly placed a few others throughout the house to offer good laughs to future visitors.

Just kidding of course. Taunya and I emptied many many many jars of canned goods from as far back as 1962. Yes, that does say '62. You should have seen the nasty pile it all went into.
Not all was work while we were there. We spent a good amount of time visiting (mainly Taunya and I). We played Dominoes a couple nights and had some good laughs. These pictures are of Grandpa Handsome (as Lydia calls him) with Lydia, Grandma Shauna, Anikah and Savannah. If you look closely you can see Grandpa's harmonic in his hand; he's very musical as is my grandma, and he played a few songs for us.
Lydia was sick with a fever off and on the whole time we were there so you can tell by the photo she doesn't feel well. The last night we were there I had my cousin Mike and my grandpa offer her a blessing and right after that she started feeling better. (Now, two weeks later when I'm posting this, she reminds me that she got a blessing at Grandpa Handsome's house and then she felt better. Children are amazing and so close to the spirit.)

I've said it before, but Lydia is definitely a girly girl. Aunt Taunya is very good to do her girls' hair each day and each day Lydia requested that Aunt Taunya also do hers. She would tell me, "I want hers to do my hair. I want hers to do my hair." She was pretty adamant she didn't want me to do it. I'm now going to try to do her hair everyday. We got a lot of ribbon out of grandma's sewing room that will look cute.




1 comment:
Rachel, check out www.shedoeshair.blogspot.com This site has TONS of fun ways to do little girls hair with lots of how to photos. Having a little girl is so much fun!
Post a Comment